3 Nov 2016

They are the Champions!

I really have no idea how to start this post as two versions have come out all a bit too cynical and negative. So, let's start with, there are loads of really great organisations in Uganda, doing really good work...

Unfortunately, it's often the 'westerners' who are the 'heroes', the ones who people say of on Facebook, 'what you are doing is AMAZING, you're such an inspiration to us all!' (too cynical?). I get pretty fed up of this, mind you I might add that I don't get that written on my wall. Hang on, no-one finds me inspirational? In the words of Hillary Clinton, 'sigh'.

Is that his name or does he think he caught a real man?
If you are intrigued by this image, check out 'Humanitarians of Tinder' for a giggle.


Now, to withhold a rant for me is hard at the best of times, but I'm doing what I can. Of course, people do stay in Uganda (often for a bit) and do some really good stuff that really impacts lives, but let's face it, self-sacrifice and overall 'going the extra mile', generally belongs to Ugandans. The ones who take kids into their families, who pay relatives school fees and naturally come together in a crisis. By far the most giving and sacrificial people I have met, are Ugandan. Now, I'm not going to go the other way and romanticise Ugandans either, they're just normal people like us and do some pretty crap things too. But that's really my point, we're all pretty 'normal' and some people are a bit special in that, but still rather normal deep down.

It's the hero-worship and raising up of people doing good stuff that is getting my goat. And we all know that one must choose one's heroes wisely, to my shame I posted a positive image and comment about Jimmy Saville when he died - flippin heck. I'd say that in the three and half years since being here that I've heard disappointing things about at least five pretty big, western, names and organisations. Now, this isn't a hatchet-job, I'm saying that these folk tend to be held up, but not necessarily held to account. And it makes me question why they were held up in the first place. We are their enablers.

Now I look at this, I actually used to look a bit like Robin.

So, what's the solution? A while ago I read a great article about not being the hero, but being the Robin and not the Batman (darned if I can find it now). I like that way of expressing the idea. Is the westerner the AMAZING Batman in the forefront, or the Robin doing cool stuff mainly in the background. Now, this is a bit naughty of me, but I'm managing not to be too cynical so please allow me this. I have a little test to see if I think someone is a Batman or a Robin type. And I have fallen foul of this test myself, so I think there is a bit of pub-politics level accuracy to it at least. When you see a picture of a westerner with a Ugandan, who has their arm around whom? Is that too close to the bone? If the western arm lovingly and paternally cradles the African's shoulders, my hunch is that they are the 'parent' in this relationship, essentially 'the hero'. That's not my bag, cup of tea or thing.

Doing it right. Good arm placement.

Right, anyway, where do we go from here? I think being aware of this dynamic is key and we all need to help each other with this. And I was going to talk about our work with Revelation Life and raising up Champions in and from the slums, but that all seems a bit like, 'we're the only ones who've got this sorted', and of course, that's not true.

But I would encourage you to support people and organisations that tell you who they are, but who don't seem to revel a little too much in the gorgeous glow of the limelight and admit to things not going as planned once in a while. It feels good in the light, but part of the responsibility of having some light on us is to direct it to those who often get ignored. These are the very people that we are all trying to help in the best way possible. And as the recent hoo-hah about the missions organisation that managed to offend a big group of Ugandans with their 'We're bringing Missions Back video' (Justin Timberlake cover, clever eh?), getting this stuff wrong can really piss local people off. 

Highlighting 'normal', yet extraordinary local people has to be better than doing a bad impression of Batman for the folks back home.

If you think I may be onto something then I ought to now point some light to TMS Ruge and his scathing, but truthful posts about the 'White Saviour Complex' which helped to form some of my thinking on this.

And if you're really into this, on a roll, and want a good laugh, check out Barbie Savior (it's ok, SFW), if you haven't already.


No comments:

Post a Comment